Peer Leaders are upperclassman student leaders that serve as mentors and role models in first-year student courses. Peer Leaders are paired with a University faculty or staff member teaching a variety of first-year courses. These courses are designed to help first-year students adjust to the University, develop a better understanding of campus resources, and acquire essential academic success skills.
What are the benefits of serving as a Peer Leader?
Some of the benefits of being a Peer Leader include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and articulate transferable skills appropriate to personal and professional goals.
- Enhance communication and facilitation skills.
- Strengthen personal leadership identity.
- Establish positive relationships with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Play a vital role with the University community.
- Submit the completed Peer Leader application by Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- Attend Spring Retreat on Sunday, March 29, 2020 from 1-4 p.m. Location TBA (on-campus).
- Attend Peer Leader and Instructor Meet and Greet on Monday, March 30, 2020 from 5 – 6 p.m.
- Enroll in UA 110- Peer Leader 101 (one-credit hour, graded course; Wednesdays afternoons at 2:00 p.m.) for the Fall 2020 academic semester.
- Attend all UA 110 meetings in Fall 2020 for evaluation, reflection, and processing of the Peer Leader experience.
- Attend all class meetings for the first year compass course in which you are assigned as a Peer Leader in Fall 2020.
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with paired instructor.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities for first-year students in your assigned course.
- Serve as mentor to first-year students.
- Serve as a role-model to first-year students.
- Assist with the instruction of first-year courses.
|Peer Leader Spring Retreat
|Peer Leader and Instructor Meet and Greet
|Fall Forum Class
||Wednesdays from 2 – 2:50 p.m. in Fall 2020
||February 3, 2020
||February 23, 2020
||March 2-4, 2020
|Notify Applicants of Selection
||By March 9, 2020
Apply to be a Peer Leader
Applications for 2021-2022 Peer Leaders will be available in spring 2021!