Since 1960, Freshman Forum has provided leadership education and training as well as civic engagement opportunities for students at the Capstone. Freshman Forum is centered on the values of leadership, scholarship, and service. Through Freshman Forum, freshman students build a network of peers, faculty, and staff across campus, gain an awareness of campus resources, and develop their personal leadership identity.
What is Freshman Forum?
Freshman Forum is a network of freshman students seeking personal and professional development through interactive discussion, leadership training, and civic engagement led by former members who strive to unlock participant’s unique potential.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will formulate their personal leadership identity.
- Students will design a foundational plan for their Capstone experience.
- Students will build skills relevant to leadership work, including self-assessment, dialogue and listening, and critical thinking.
- Students will expand their personal frame of reference to include different perspectives, values, and cultures.
- Students will develop a network of peers, UA professional staff, and Tuscaloosa community members.
- Students will be able to describe the importance of ethical leadership.
- Students will be able to defend the importance of civic engagement.
- Students will experience a successful transition to the Capstone.
Requirements for Freshman Forum Students
Before applying for Freshman Forum, please review the requirements of Freshman Forum members listed below.
- Attend all Freshman Forum sessions (Wednesdays from 4 – 5:30 p.m.).
- Participate in the Civic Engagement Project. Service Day is November 16, 2019 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Contribute to dialogue during Freshman Forum sessions.
- Engage in social and service opportunities.
- Complete each activity/project built into the Freshman Forum curriculum.
- Participate in Out 2 Lunch.
- Design and present an ePortfolio Capstone Plan.
- Pay $40 in program fees.
Application and Interview Timeline for 2018
Applications Available: May 24, 2019
Application Deadline: September 4, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Notification for interviews: September 6, 2019 by 5:00 p.m.
Interviews: Monday, September 9, 2019
Apply for Freshman Forum
Applications for the 2019-2020 Cohort of Freshman Forum are currently closed.
For more information about Freshman Forum, contact First Year Experience and Retention Initiatives at email@example.com or 205-348-8404.