Camp 1831 is 3-day, 2-night program for first-year students with a packed schedule of events. Descriptions of scheduled events are available below.
- Small Group Sessions
- Each camp participant will be assigned to a small group of approximately 15 students and 2 A-Team leaders. During these sessions, participants will build relationships with one another, reflect on their camp experiences, and discuss meaningful topics surrounding transition to college life, becoming a leader on campus, and serving UA.
- History & Tradition
- Throughout camp, participants will learn UA chants, cheers, songs, and traditions while also being quizzed on University of Alabama history and facts. The goal is for participants to feel a sense of pride in UA as their institution!
- Team Building
- Each group will participate in field activities to build relationships with one another and to build their own confidence. These activities will be challenge by choice and will allow participants to push themselves and support one another by practicing communication, critical-thinking, and strategy.
- UA Leadership & Service
- Students will learn about various opportunities that exist at UA and set goals for their time on campus by speaking to current students and staff as well as engaging in dialogue about social issues in the community. They will leave with a plan of action for their own UA experience.
- Faculty & Staff Roundtable Discussions
- Students will learn from the experts on various disciplines and research areas, gain inside advice on how to be successful in their academic career, and build relationships with faculty and staff members in a casual setting.
- Symbolic Activity
- This activity will symbolize a first-year student’s transition to becoming a UA student where they will “take the step into the Capstone.” The secret stays with camp participants!
- Camp 1831 Service Day
- On the last day of Camp 1831, First Year Experience and the Center for Service and Leadership partner for a day of service. At the Camp 1831 Service Day, camp participants serve the Tuscaloosa community in various ways and put into action their service and leadership discussions from camp.
Coming Soon for 2017!