Peer Leaders are upper-level student leaders who serve as mentors and role models in first-year student courses. Peer Leaders are paired with a University faculty or staff member teaching a variety of first-year courses. These courses are designed to help first-year students adjust to the University, develop a better understanding of campus resources, and acquire essential academic success skills.
What are the benefits of serving as a Peer Leader?
Some of the benefits of being a Peer Leader include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and articulate transferable skills appropriate to personal and professional goals.
- Enhance communication and facilitation skills.
- Strengthen personal leadership identity.
- Establish positive relationships with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Play a vital role with the University community.
Before applying to be a Peer Leader, please review the requirements, responsibilities, and mandatory dates.
- Submit the completed Peer Leader application by Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- Participate in an interview with an FYE staff member and a UA instructor on February 28 – March 4, 2022.
- Attend one Spring training on Wednesday, March 30 or Thursday, March 31, 2022.
- Attend Peer Leader and Instructor Meet and Greet via zoom on the evening of Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Enroll in UA 110 – Peer Leader 101 (one credit hour, graded course; Wednesday afternoons at 2:00 pm) for the Fall 2022 academic semester.
- Attend all UA 110 meetings in Fall 2022 for evaluation, reflection, and processing of the Peer Leader experience.
- Attend all class meetings for the first-year compass course in which you are assigned as a Peer Leader (Fall 2022).
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with your paired instructor.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities for first-year students in your assigned course.
- Serve as mentor to first-year students.
- Serve as a positive role-model to first-year students.
- Assist with the instruction of first-year courses.
|Peer Leader Spring Training
||March 30 or March 31, 2022
|Peer Leader and Instructor Meet and Greet
||Monday, April 4, 2022
|Fall Forum Class
||Wednesdays from 2 – 2:50 p.m. in Fall 2022
||February 1, 2022
||February 23, 2022
||Feb. 28 – March 4, 2022
|Notify Applicants of Selection
||By March 11, 2022
Apply to be a Peer Leader
2022 Peer Leader Application
Applications for Fall 2022 Peer Leader positions close on February 23, 2022.