Peer Leaders are upper-level student leaders who serve as mentors and role models in first-year student courses. Peer Leaders are paired with a University faculty or staff member teaching a variety of first-year courses. These courses are designed to help first-year students adjust to the University, develop a better understanding of campus resources, and acquire essential academic success skills.
What are the benefits of serving as a Peer Leader?
Some of the benefits of being a Peer Leader include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and articulate transferable skills appropriate to personal and professional goals.
- Enhance communication and facilitation skills.
- Strengthen personal leadership identity.
- Establish positive relationships with fellow students, faculty, and staff.
- Play a vital role with the University community.
Before applying to be a Peer Leader, please review the requirements, responsibilities, and mandatory dates.
- Submit the completed Peer Leader application by Monday, March 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- Attend Spring Retreat on the afternoon of Sunday, March 21, 2021 (exact time and location TBA).
- Attend Peer Leader and Instructor Meet and Greet on the evening of Monday, March 22, 2021 (exact time and location TBA).
- Enroll in UA 110 – Peer Leader 101 (one credit hour, graded course; Wednesday afternoons at 2:00 pm) for the Fall 2021 academic semester.
- Attend all UA 110 meetings in Fall 2021 for evaluation, reflection, and processing of the Peer Leader experience.
- Attend all class meetings for the first-year compass course in which you are assigned as a Peer Leader (Fall 2021).
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with paired instructor.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities for first-year students in your assigned course.
- Serve as mentor to first-year students.
- Serve as a positive role-model to first-year students.
- Assist with the instruction of first-year courses.
|Peer Leader Spring Retreat
||Sunday, March 21, 2021
|Peer Leader and Instructor Meet and Greet
||Monday, March 22, 2021
|Fall Forum Class
||Wednesdays from 2 – 2:50 p.m. in Fall 2021
||February 8, 2021
||March 1, 2021
||March 8-10, 2021
|Notify Applicants of Selection
||By March 12, 2021
Apply to be a Peer Leader
Applications for Fall 2022 Peer Leader positions will open in Spring 2022.