Since 1960, Freshman Forum has provided leadership education and training as well as civic engagement opportunities for students at the Capstone. Freshman Forum is centered on the values of leadership, scholarship, and service. Through Freshman Forum, freshman students build a network of peers, faculty, and staff across campus, gain an awareness of campus resources, and develop their personal leadership identity.
What is Freshman Forum?
Freshman Forum is a network of freshman students seeking personal and professional development through interactive discussion, leadership training, and civic engagement led by former members who strive to unlock participant’s unique potential.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will formulate their personal leadership identity.
- Students will design a foundational plan for their Capstone experience.
- Students will build skills relevant to leadership work, including self-assessment, dialogue and listening, and critical thinking.
- Students will expand their personal frame of reference to include different perspectives, values, and cultures.
- Students will develop a network of peers, UA professional staff, and Tuscaloosa community members.
- Students will be able to describe the importance of ethical leadership.
- Students will be able to defend the importance of civic engagement.
- Students will experience a successful transition to the Capstone.
Requirements for Freshman Forum Students
Before applying for Freshman Forum, please review the requirements of Freshman Forum members listed below.
- Attend all Freshman Forum sessions (Wednesdays from 4 – 5:30 p.m.).
- Participate in the Civic Engagement Project Service Day in fall semester and Group Planned Project in spring semester.
- Contribute to dialogue during Freshman Forum sessions.
- Engage in social and service opportunities.
- Complete each activity/project built into the Freshman Forum curriculum.
- Participate in Out 2 Lunch.
- Design and present an ePortfolio Capstone Plan.
- Pay $40 in program fees.
Application and Interview Timeline for 2020
Applications Available: May 14, 2020
Application Deadline: September 9, 2020 at 5 p.m.
Notification for interviews: September 11, 2020
Interviews: Week of September 14, 2020
Apply for Freshman Forum
2020 Freshman Forum Application
Applications for the 2020-2021 Cohort of Freshman Forum are due Wednesday, September 9, 2020.